About The Awards
"The ignited mind of the youth is the most powerful resource on the earth, above the earth and under the
- Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam
Volunteerism is an important and increasingly popular system for young people to devote their time, effort, and talent to a need, cause, or mission without financial gain. As we realize that volunteerism has gained very minimal recognition in our country, it is our core responsibility to recognize and appreciate the Volunteers, and Volunteer activities across the nation.
Kites Foundation announces Kalam Awards 2021 to acknowledge and appreciate the journey of young individuals and communities who have volunteered and contributed positively to bring about a constructive change in our society and led a step forward to ensure a better state of living from the developmental aspect. Through this initiative, we aim to find individuals who are highly passionate about contributing to activities that lead to a positive social impact and development of under-privileged communities. In a world that seeks change, we create the ‘change-makers’!Learn More Download Brochure
Category of Awards
Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Social Volunteer Award is presented to recognize exemplary voluntary contributions by young individuals in the service sector. It aims to encourage youth to engage in meaningful voluntary activities. This award reflects the exceptional array of individuals working in our nation's vibrant charity and non-profit sectors.
Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Community Excellence Award is presented to the outstanding functionaries to recognize their unwavering voluntary contributions to society. The award is to celebrate the non-government non-profit organizations or communities’ efforts and reinforce their practices in our society. The award also encourages greater participation from the young individuals to work in their community and beyond, for the nation's development.
Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Social Impact Award identifies impactful projects that inspire a whole new way of bringing about a ‘change’. The award will recognize those wonderful projects that were rooted in an honest purpose to bring about sustainable development.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is 'Kalam Awards 2021'?
This is an initiative by Kites Foundation to recognize and appreciate the passionate volunteers and organizations of our country, who have contributed their efforts, talent, and time to the betterment of our nation. We have the largest youth population in the world, yet the act of volunteerism has very minimal recognition in our country. So these awards aim to promote the volunteering activities in our society.
What makes me a volunteer?
There are millions of young individuals and communities who contribute positively to bring about a constructive change in our society and take necessary steps to ensure a better state of living from the developmental aspect.
If you have volunteered in any of these categories, then you are a volunteer.
- Institutions/Colleges (NSS,NYKS,CSOs)
- Community (Working directly with a certain community.)
- Social Entrepreneurs
- Social Impactful Projects
What are the different categories of awards?
There are 3 categories of Kalam Awards 2021
- Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Social Volunteer Award
This award is to recognize passionate young volunteers who have remarkably contributed to the service sector. It aims to encourage youth to engage in meaningful voluntary activities.
- Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Community Excellence Award
The award is to celebrate the non-government non-profit organizations or communities’ efforts and reinforce their practices in our society. The award also encourages greater participation from the young individuals to work in their community and beyond, for the nation's development.
- Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Social Impact Award
This award identifies impactful projects that inspire a whole new way of bringing about a ‘change’. The award will recognize those wonderful projects that were rooted in an honest purpose to bring about sustainable development.
- Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Social Volunteer Award
When can we start applying and when is the
Applications will be open from 7th August 2021 to 10th September 2021. Detailed report submission of the selected candidates will be from 25th August 2021 to 10th September 2021. The interview panel will review the entries in the third phase, from 15th September 2021 to 25th September 2021.
What are the Eligibility Criteria for applying to
the ‘Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Social Volunteer Award ‘?
- The volunteer must be an Indian citizen.
- The volunteer should be at least 11 years old and not more than 35 years.
- Minimum six months of volunteering experience, by either working or running an NGO, or contributing to society positively in your unique ways.
- The person should meet a minimum of three Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) through the volunteering activities.
What are the Eligibility Criteria for 'Dr. APJ
Community Excellence Award' and 'Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Social Impact Award'?
Eligibility Criteria for the Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Community Excellence Award
- The organization/community must be registered in India or headed by an Indian citizen.
- Founded or/and currently running with Indian citizens below the age of 40 as Board members
- If an NGO, it must be registered under any of the government acts.
- The activities of last two years will be mainly considered for the award.
- Organizations or the community should be focused on youth-led developments achieving sustainable development goals, providing aid for the well-being of under-privileged communities, and building support mechanisms for their upliftment.
- The organization/community should meet a minimum of three Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) through its activities/projects.
Eligibility Criteria for 'Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Social Impact Award'
- An initiative by an NGO/Community/Individual(s) ( In case of NGO/Community, it must be registered in India or headed by an Indian citizen ).
- The project must be at least 60% completed.
- The beneficiary of the project must be any Indian community, as a whole or a section of it, rather than a specific individual.
- The project should meet a minimum of three Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
- Uniqueness and innovation of the idea, primary purpose and immediate beneficiaries of the project, scale of success in terms of development in the community, etc. will be evaluated.
When will the results be announced?
Awards will be declared in the first week of October 2021 and the Award Ceremony will be conducted on 15th October 2021, tentatively at Thiruvananthapuram, commemorating the Birth Anniversary of Dr. APJ ABDUL KALAM and celebrating the second anniversary of KITES Foundation.
How can I apply?
- Applications can be submitted through the online portal available on the website.
- Applicants can submit the entries by themselves. Nominations and recommendations by a second party are also accepted. In case of Social Impact Awards, an organization/individual/team can submit a maximum of 3 projects.
What are the procedures after getting
- Selected entries for the second phase need to submit a detailed report of their activity, in the prescribed format. In the cases where nominated or recommended entries get selected to the second phase, the nominee is solely responsible to proceed with, and not the applicant. In no case, KITES Foundation will be responsible if the nominee refuses to proceed further, and that entry will stand cancelled thereafter.
- Entries selected for the third and final phase need to report before an interview panel in person (for Social Volunteer Award), with all or minimum 3 board members (for Community Excellence Award), with all or minimum 3 project coordinators (for Social Impact Award).
How will the awards benefit me?
Kalam Awards is a remarkable opportunity for passionate individuals in the service sector to showcase their works and talents in front of the society. The award recognizes their selfless efforts that served the society to ensure a better development of the nation.
I have contributed through online volunteering, or
work from home, can I still apply?
Yes, both online, as well as offline volunteering, will be considered.
How can I ask more queries related to Kalam
You can reach out to us by directly contacting the official numbers mentioned on the website, or email us at [email protected].
How can I promote Kalam Awards 2021?
As a Volunteer, Organisation, Institute/College, NGO, Community, or Social Entrepreneur, you can promote Kalam Awards 2021 through your social media network by using the website link, or posters that are officially released by Kites Foundation. Encouraging the volunteers and organizations in your social circles to nominate themselves for the award will be highly appreciated. Please make sure not to make any changes to the existing posters and other collaterals.
What are the Evaluation Criteria of the awards?
The major Evaluation criteria of deciding the winners will be,
- 1. Impact
- 2. Engagement with Community
- 3. Evidence
- 4. Reference
Can I edit my response?
No, unfortunately, you won’t be able to edit your response after submitting it, so please make sure that you fill up the form very clearly. Also, please keep a separate copy of all your answers submitted through the application form.
Can I submit more than one entry?
A person/community can apply for more than one award category, whereas a person cannot apply for more than once under the same category. ( except for project awards, where a person/community can submit a maximum of 3 projects ).
In case of nominations, one person can submit a maximum of 3 nominations under each category, whereas an organization can submit a maximum of 5 nominations under each category.
Can Kites Foundation Members/Volunteers apply for
In case of self-application, all the Kites Foundation Members, except the following categories can apply for the awards:
- Ones who belong to the director board of Kites Foundation.
- Members in the core committee of ' Kalam Awards 2021 '.